What is this Service?
State Cloud Services encompasses all aspects of Infrastructure as a Service "IaaS" including but not limited to: data center (cooling, power, security and operations), networking, processing power, storage, service delivery, capacity planning, performance management, provisioning, backup recovery, disaster recovery (high availability) upon request, monitoring, logging and virus protection resources. These combined offerings delivered through State or Commercial Cloud offerings allow for the broadest, most cost effective and transparent cloud model services required to meet today’s business needs in a sustainable fashion. These collective services are being developed and enhanced to provide hosting/management in predefined public and private environments that meet business performance, security and cost objectives.
The goal is to provide the most cost-effective cloud resources available while at the same time setting a baseline for minimum cloud services for high-availability, backup, disaster recovery, security, and operational monitoring capabilities.
What is Included?
Key Standard Features
Included in all Cloud Services pricing is:
- Licensing for Server Operating Systems (We require users to run current supported Operating Systems), which includes:
- Software, configuration and vendor support of Microsoft Windows Server Operating Systems
- Software, configuration and vendor support of Oracle Enterprise Linux (OEL) for Linux Virtual Machines (VMs); OEL is based upon Red Hat and offers timely patches and updates.
- Security components, services, and support (included)
- Monitoring and Alert components, services, and support (included)
- Backups/Recovery Solution (included) – (Standard backups for 14 days, offsite copy included)
- Cloud Services (State and Commercial) for infrastructure life cycle replacement, resource provisioning, performance, efficiency, utilization, ITIL/ISO90002 based management processes for incident response, escalation; change/configuration management and established maintenance windows. In cases of hybrid and public/private cloud resource needs, vendor contracting, service implementation and service level management are included.
- File Services - Some “File Services” are provided to customers via a network storage sharing service called “Data Movers”. The Data Mover shares will automatically increase when utilization equals or exceeds 95%. This is to ensure users will not run out of file space.
The following may be included in all Cloud Services pricing:
- Assistance in bringing older legacy servers/apps in private cloud – with an agreement by customer to update within a specific time frame. For antiquated, outdated, and unsupported hardware and software solutions or applications the role of Private Cloud Service is to identify the "Current State" and provide an assessment with recommendations on how to best proceed to a "Future State" that meets State Enterprise Architectural and Security Standards.
- Customers who find they are or will be using non-support operating systems or applications must proceed to develop a plan in collaboration with ADS to migrate away from the non-supported operating systems or applications. Failure to do so will subject customers to additional costs which may include: breach insurance, migration expenses, dedicated equipment, fines, consulting expenses, or removal from the environment.
Specific Systems Administration Capabilities available
Powering on / off and reboot, remote access, catalog of standard OS builds, system logging access, monitoring system access, ability to manage firewall rules, antivirus deployment and exceptions, tools and capability for client to snapshot OS for system upgrade purposes.
Disaster Recovery – Customers are responsible for determining the required Disaster Recovery needs of their application.
Our Hybrid Cloud:
Public and Private Environments include:
- State Private Cloud currently located in State of Vermont Data Centers (National Life in Montpelier, Tech Vault in Williston). The State Private Cloud has been designed and built to meet the IRS 1075 standard.
- Commercial Cloud Partners (e.g., AWS, Azure)
Cloud Services is committed to maintaining cloud vendor relationships and connectivity, state data centers, physical/virtual server infrastructure in a sustainable fashion, utilizing proven, state of the art technology ensuring your applications are running on equipment that not only utilizes the latest technology but is also under warranty and supported by the manufacturers and service providers. Our goal is to expand affordable Disaster Recovery options that enhance Business Continuity while maintaining cost effective resources and not sacrificing security or compliance requirements. Cloud Services is also committed to facilitating the use of Cloud based technologies that best fit the requirements of State Agencies, adhere to State policy, and Compliance needs.
Licensing for specific server based software such as Microsoft SQL, Oracle DB, alternative operating systems may be purchased at enterprise volumes and billed back annually. These items should be purchased by ADS IT Purchasing.
Cloud Services does not include the following and therefore these items are considered “excluded” from standard service offerings. Customers are responsible for the following:
Customer Responsibilities (these responsibilities are for customers who have IT Technical Support and manage their own Environments)
- Technical Customer is responsible for all software installations and ongoing patch /update management required to support their business services and applications. This includes, but is not limited to: operating systems, applications, databases, security/anti-virus software, monitoring software, etc.
- All software (application, database, etc.) are required to be legally licensed with software assurance (SA); this includes alternative operating systems. Procurement of certain Enterprise Software licenses like Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle Database products, should be purchased through Enterprise Agreements to reduce costs. Please see ADS IT Purchasing for more information or assistance.
- Technical Customer is expected to keep Virtual Tools updated for each VM provisioned in the Vermont Private Cloud (VPC). Service requires updates be installed no later than 45 calendar days after release. These updates should take place during the published maintenance windows.
- Technical Customer is responsible for understanding how to use the Virtual Tools to “power-on” and “power-off” their servers and mount local ISO files. This is critical for recovery after both planned and unplanned maintenance.
- Technical Customer is responsible for understanding how to gracefully shut down their application(s) and how to configure their application for resumption upon server restart.
- Customer is responsible for timely notifications of issues experienced within their environment using the documented contact options.
- Customer is responsible for submitting a Landesk request in order to make updates and changes to contact information for their respective system contacts and contact email lists including the “Data Movers” mail lists.
- Customer requests for additional disk space should be requested in increments of no less than 30GB.
- Technical Customer is responsible for performing their own image snapshots. Snapshots should not be kept for more than 7 days, automated deletion will occur after such time; if needed to be kept longer, please contact us.
- Technical Customer is required to manage their space requirements, review their space usage quarterly, and to consider removing any unwanted files in accordance with VSARA guidance. Please see VSARA if you would like guidance directly from them: https://www.sec.state.vt.us/archives-records.aspx.
How Do I Receive Support for this Service?
To request support for this service for modifications to existing Cloud Hosting resources, contact the Service Desk to open a support ticket: (NOTE: If you are increasing capacity, business approval is required).
Self Service Portal – Log into LANDesk
- AHS, VSMS and TAX go to LANDesk Self-Service
- If your domain is different from above (for example AOT or DFR) go to explicit logon
- Or Call 802-828-6620 or toll free 1-855-828-6620 - Option 1
- View the How To Documents
Service Maintenance Schedule
Cloud Services has established several different maintenance windows depending upon which Cloud environment your resources resides. Click on the link below to view the maintenance windows.
- State Cloud Service environments are architected and managed to achieve 99.9% availability 24x7x365. (excluding maintenance windows/measured on monthly basis)
- ADS Service Desk: Monday –Friday 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 pm
- Data Center Operations: Monday through Friday -6:30am to midnight
ADS does not traditionally respond to issues after business hours. ADS staff is only available via "best effort" after hours. Support calls placed after 4:30 PM and weekends/holidays will be redirected to Contact Communications. Issues requiring immediate attention will be forwarded to the appropriate ADS employee who will triage the reported issue and follow proper procedures to restore activities to normal operations.
Request Fulfillment Goal
- Depends on the type of request, and level of complexity.
- Issues will be prioritized and resolved based on priority. Please refer to the Customer Support Service Level Agreement for definitions of priority levels and resolution goals for each level.
- Pricing varies based upon resource consumption and options. All pricing may be obtained by discussing with the Private Cloud staff. Based on your requirements, they will quote you a price.