What is this Service?
State Private Cloud Services encompasses all aspects of Infrastructure as a Service "IaaS" including but not limited to: data center (cooling, power, security and operations), networking, processing power, storage (Tier 1, 2, 3), service delivery, capacity planning, performance management, provisioning, backup recovery, monitoring, logging and virus protection resources. These combined offerings delivered through Private or Public Cloud offerings allow for the broadest, most cost effective and transparent cloud model services required to meet today’s business needs in a sustainable fashion. These collective services provide hosting/management in predefined public and private Vermont Cloud Zones that meet business performance, security and cost objectives.
The goal is to provide the most cost effective cloud resources available while at the same time setting a baseline for minimum cloud services for backup recovery, anti-virus and monitoring capabilities.
What is Included?
Key Standard Features
Included in all Cloud Services pricing is:
- Licensing for Server Operating Systems (We require users to run current supported Operating Systems), which includes:
- Licensing for Microsoft Windows Server Operating Systems
- Licensing for Oracle Enterprise Linux (OEL) for Linux Virtual Machines (VMs) is offered by Oracle at no cost. OEL is based upon Red Hat and offers patches and updates.
- Licensing for Anti-Virus solution
- Licensing for a Monitoring solution
- Backups/Recovery – (Standard backups for 14 days, offsite copy included)
- Cloud Services (Private and Public) for life cycle replacement, resource provisioning, performance, efficiency, utilization, ITIL/ISO90002 based management processes for incident response, escalation; change/configuration management and established maintenance windows. In cases of hybrid and public/private cloud resource needs, vendor contracting, service implementation and service level management are included.
- File Services - Some “File Services” are provided to customers via a network storage sharing service called “Data Movers”. The Data Mover shares will automatically increase when the remaining space reaches 95% or more. It will increase by increments of 50 GB. This is to ensure users will not run out of file space.
The following may be included in all Cloud Services pricing:
- Assist in bringing older legacy servers/apps in private cloud – with an agreement by customer to update within a specific time frame. For antiquated, outdated, and unsupported hardware and software solutions or applications the role of the Cloud Managed Service is to identify the "Current State" and provide an assessment with recommendations on how to best proceed to a "Future State" that meets State Enterprise Architectural and Security Standards.
Specific Systems Administration Capabilities available
Powering on / off and reboot, remote access, catalog of standard OS builds, system logging access, monitoring system access, ability to manage firewall rules, antivirus deployment and exceptions, tools and capability for client to snapshot OS for system upgrade purposes.
Current Vermont Cloud Zones include:
- SOV Private Cloud currently located in State of Vermont Data Centers (National Life in Montpelier, Tech Vault in Williston).
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) - coming soon
- Microsoft Azure (GOV) - coming soon
- Microsoft Azure (Non-GOV) - coming soon
Cloud Services is committed to maintaining cloud vendor relationships and connectivity, state data centers, physical/virtual server infrastructure in a sustainable fashion, utilizing proven, state of the art technology ensuring your applications are running on equipment that not only utilizes the latest technology but is also under warranty and supported by the manufacturers and service providers. Our goal is to expand affordable Disaster Recovery options that enhance Business Continuity while maintaining cost effective resources and not sacrificing security or compliance requirements. Cloud Services is also committed to facilitating the use of Cloud based technologies that best fit the requirements of State Agencies, adhere to State policy, and Compliance needs.
Future Vermont Cloud Zones are being developed:
The Cloud Services group is currently engaged with the State Office of Purchasing and Contracting in an engagement with the National Association of State Budget Officers (NASPO) to procure better pricing for more options for Cloud based service.
Licensing for specific server based software such as Microsoft SQL, Oracle DB, and alternative operating systems may be purchased at enterprise volumes and billed back as part of annual demand based cloud services. These items should be purchased via IT Purchasing.
Cloud Services do not include the following and therefore these items are considered “excluded” from standard service offerings. Customers are responsible for the following:
Customer Responsibilities (these responsibilities are for customers who have IT Technical Support and manage their own Environments)
- Customer is are responsible for all software installations and ongoing patch /update management required to support their business services and applications. This includes, but is not limited to: operating systems, applications, databases, security/anti-virus software, monitoring software, etc.
- All software (application, database, etc.) are required to be legally licensed with software assurance. In certain cases like Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle Database products, these licenses are being purchased with vendor Enterprise Agreements to reduce cost and your demand for cloud services may include such licensing.
- Customer is expected to keep Virtual Tools updated for each VM provisioned in the SOV Private Cloud. Service requires updates be installed no later than 45 calendar days after release. These updates should take place during the published maintenance windows.
- Customer is responsible for timely notifications of issues experienced within their environment using the documented contact options.
- Customer requests for additional disk space should be requested in increments of no less than 30GB.
- Customer is responsible for performing their own image snapshots. Snapshots should not be kept for more than 7 days, automated deletion will occur after such time; if needed to be kept longer, please contact us.
- Customers are required to manage their space requirements, review their space usage quarterly, and to consider removing any unwanted files in accordance with VSARA guidance. Please see VSARA if you would like guidance directly from them: https://www.sec.state.vt.us/archives-records.aspx.
How Do I Receive Support for this Service?
To request support for this service for modifications to existing Cloud Hosting resources, contact the Service Desk to open a support ticket: (NOTE: If you are increasing capacity, business approval is required).
Self Service Portal – Log into LANDesk
- AHS, VSMS and TAX go to LANDesk Self-Service
- If your domain is different from above (for example AOT or DFR) go to explicit logon
- Or Call 802-828-6620 or toll free 1-855-828-6620 - Option 1
- View the How To Documents
Service Maintenance Schedule
Cloud Services has established several different maintenance windows depending upon which Cloud environment your resources resides. Click on the link below to view the maintenance windows.
- State Cloud Service environments are architected and managed to achieve 99.9% availability 24x7x365. (excluding maintenance windows/measured on monthly basis)
- Service Availability Definitions – as described in the Enterprise Architect Assessment
- SOV Cloud Services Metrics
- DII Service Desk: Monday –Friday 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 pm
- Data Center Operations: Monday through Friday -6:30am to midnight
DII does not traditionally respond to issues after business hours. DII staff is only available via "best effort" after hours. Support calls placed after 4:30 PM and weekends/holidays will be redirected to Contact Communications. Issues requiring immediate attention will be forwarded to the appropriate DII employee who will triage the reported issue and follow proper procedures to restore activities to normal operations.
Request Fulfillment Goal
- Depends on the type of request, and level of complexity.
- Issues will be prioritized and resolved based on priority. Please refer to the Customer Support Service Level Agreement for definitions of priority levels and resolution goals for each level.
- Pricing varies based upon resource consumption and options. All pricing may be found in the Cloud Services Offerings Catalog.