FY2017 Allocation Explanation
In accordance with 22 V.S.A. § 902a, an information technology internal service fund is used to support activities of the Department of Information and Innovation (ADS). Part of the funding source of this internal service fund is referred to as the ADS allocation. The FY 2017 ADS allocation was calculated by spreading IT costs for shared services across state government based on the number of positions in each business unit. The allocation pays for:
- Internet and other network connectivity
- Security Services
- Firewall, VPN and secure certificate services, support and maintenance
- Internet border intrusion detection and prevention
- Incident handling, consultation and facilitation
- Penetration testing and vulnerability assessment
- Microsoft 365 for state employees
- Video Conferencing (Skype for Business)
- Microsoft Office – e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Mobile Device Management
- File storage
- Desktop/Laptop Windows operating systems
- Service Desk
- Vermont.gov management
- Technology Contracting and Procurement support
- eSignature Software
Don’t rebuy stuff that’s already included in your payment to ADS
It is important for business managers and technology supervisors to understand and collaborate on the impact of the allocation on budgets. If your unit has no technical support, please coordinate with ADS.
For your Business Office
Each year, Finance and Management adjusts your budget target for the General Fund (GF) difference between the prior year’s ADS allocated charge and the year you are currently budgeting. If your ADS charge goes up by $10, and your GF percentage is 60%, your target will be raised by $6. Conversely, if your charge goes down by $10, your target will be reduced by $6. This year, due to the continued shift from allocated services to demand services, Finance and Management will consider cost differences in existing demand-driven services along with the cost differences in the allocation in determining your target. If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact your budget analyst.
If you have questions regarding your ADS charges or demand services, please email Darwin Thompson or call 828-1142.