Listserves are among the most useful Internet power tools. Use a list serve to "push" your message to your target audience. List serves have many different uses and users:
- Associations use list serves to notify their members of meetings and events
- Special interest groups use list serves to exchange ideas and discuss issues
- Information Technology groups use lists to notify clients of maintenance or system outages
- Software companies use list serves to notify their registered users of product updates
- Politicians use list serves to communicate with their constituents
- Groups with members in diverse locales use list serves to communicate efficiently & economically
- Educational institutions use list serves to communicate with students
- Departments and Agencies utilize ListServ services to communicate with other departments, branches of government, municipal governments that often reside on diverse e-mail systems.
DII provides hosting of ListServ services. To establish a list you must provide: list name, contacts for administrators and an initial clients list. A new list can be started by creating a work order in the Footprints Help Desk Support System. If you do not have an account on this system one can be created by contacting the DII helpdesk at 802-828-3544.
To subscribe to existing lists, go to the following URL: http://mail.state.vt.us. Click on Mailing List Directory. The lists are alphabetical. Click on a specific list you wish to subscribe to and enter your email address. If the list is moderated, you may be asked to confirm your email address. Otherwise, you will then be a member of that list automatically and receive any emails that are sent to that list.